Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sharin' the Love With Other Blogger's Treats

I recently made ZestyCook's Chewy Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I'd seen them a while back and have wanted to try his recipe since.  These are a GREAT cookie.  With the melted butter, they are a little like having a blondie in cookie form.  I took Cory's advice and just slightly underbaked them.  They are perfectly chewy.  I love the milk chocolate as it is a good change from all the dark chocolate I've been using lately.  Too bad I'm not eating chocolate chip cookies right now either.  (I did sneak a little--they had to be tasted so I can give my opinion, yes!  Everyone's heads nod in approval to that!)

You can get his recipe on the link above.  Well shiver me timbers, I didn't change a thing!  What?  It can't be.  I was especially excited when I'd started making these, then realized I am out of vanilla--not to worry, these don't have vanilla.  A lot of flavor comes with the melted butter and lots of brown sugar.   The next best thing about these, they are super easy.  I melted the butter in a small, microwave safe bowl, then stirred the rest by hand in another bowl.  No mixer needed and minimal dish clean up!  Thanks for the great cookie recipe, Cory.  I'll be giving these away today!

DSCF2354

________________________________________________________________________________

Next up, I had practically dreamt about these little delights since I saw Cathy at Noble Pig post them weeks ago.  And when I saw that it's only 30 calories and 3 carbs for two of the little phyllo cups (empty), I couldn't wait to try them.  What, nuts are very nutritious and honey is a natural sugar!   They are just as the title suggests--The Lazy Cook's Baklava and are so super simple and DE-licious!  Take the premade frozen phyllo cups and fill them with chopped nuts.  Bake for 8 minutes and drizzle lots of honey with a touch of water over them.  Cool and serve.  Hello--so easy!  And can I just say--very addictive.  I could have eaten them by the ton, but that wouldn't have been nice, since I'd only made 15 and taken them to a baby shower earlier this week.  Eating one was my splurge of the night and well worth the wait!  Next time you're in a pinch for a quick little treat with company or just a little craving, make these!

DSCF2312

I almost can't look at the pictures, I want more!  ;)

DSCF2316

Cathy's recipe suggests cashews, pistachios, and almonds.  I was a little short on pistachios, so I also used some pecans.  Put whatever nuts you like!

DSCF2313

Did you see that?  Here's one more picture in case you missed something. 

DSCF2318 

Perfection!  Thanks, Cathy!

_________________________________________________________________________________

One more bit of spreadin' some love--goes to Elyse at Confectionery Creations and Risa at Baked Perfection for coming up with some really fun (and yummy!) Cookie Dough Pops.  They came up with an eggless cookie dough, made balls of dough, froze them with a stick inserted, then drenched them in melted chocolate.  Heaven on a stick--especially if you're like me and you really like cookie dough!  Great idea, Gals!  So I felt the need to make these.  I even copied Risa's (go see) pops and drizzled them with some blue tinted white chocolate--I was making them for my friend's baby shower.  I did have a bit of a hard time getting the pops to stay on the stick while I was submerging them in the chocolate, but after talking to Elyse, she let me know that a quick little dip of the stick in some melted chocolate before freezing the pops make them stick like glue.  I didn't know that at the time I made them and was only able to get six pops.  I wrapped them up nicely and fully intended to take them to Rachel as part of a congrats on the new baby boy arrival.  But--I forgot to take them!  Oops!  So, the boys enjoyed them the next day.  They are good!

DSCF2332

The boys ate them at different times and I was only able to get pictures of Taylor and Sam enjoying them!  Awesome, Elyse and Risa!

DSCF2335

Silly Sammie!

DSCF2337

"Look at Mommy holding the camera."

DSCF2339

Nope.  Still, CUTE!

And finally, you know what the Bible says, "Train them up in the way they should go and they will not depart from it." (that's in my own words, but close I think.)  The other day Sam asked me for a spoonful of Nutella and a spoonful of peanut butter.  I gave him half a banana to go with it.

DSCF2311

He had probably three spoonfuls of each before he decided that was enough!  Ahh, a kid after my own heart!

19 comments:

Mermaid Sews said...

LOVE the last photo. Soo cool that you made Elyse and Risa's pops, they are so cool aren't they. I have to try them. All your desserts look so cool. Wish i was an inventive baker!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Okay, now I must bake tomorrow...see what you did to me? (smile)

noble pig said...

Yeah you made them...they are so good...the problem is they just are so easy to pop right in your mouth and disappear....Love the pops and the sweet smiling faces!

Megan said...

I'm going to have to find that recipe. Someone just asked me to make dessert for a baby shower - and these would be a nice change from cake pops.

Love the photos - and how did you resist eating any of that?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the treats and your boys! The cookies and pops and tarts look wonderful.

Judy said...

Everything looks great, especially the cccookies. I'm partial to milk cc also, but have gotten onto the dark chocolate lately. BTW, I have the links for all the pie recipes on my blog now.

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to try those cookie pops! and that chewy cookie recipe! yay everything's fabulous!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Why do you keep doing these things to me Katrina?! And posting in a row tons of wonferful sweets! Love the cookies and yes you DO have to taste everything you bake! The baklavas are so adorable!!! I aslo saw them at Cathy's. And the cookie pops right up our alley, ahahah! I love the picture of Sam with his pop. I think he has his eye on a cookie pop, literally ahahah!

Tiffany Winters said...

Nutella, peanut butter and bananas... probably the best combination EVER. Sam's a quick learner! What does his shirt say? Something about mom and dad...

Anna said...

Those milk chocolate cookies look kind of glossy. Yum.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Beautiful cookies and such cute boys!

Elyse said...

Oh Katrina, you've totally outdone yourself!! First of all, I can't wait to try Cory's CCCs. You know that I'm always up for another recipe. Man do those cookies look good. And those phyllo cups!! How precious are they? I'm loving that whole deconstructed baklava thing. And I'm so excited to see your post about the pop; yours turned out so preciously!! Such a fabulous job. By the way, sooo glad you posted pics of your cuties. I love that Sam is already asking for spoonfuls of nutella and PB straight. Smart cookie!

CookiePie said...

Great recipes!! The choc chip cookies look fantastic, and I love that there's no mixer involved. And the baklava! One of my hubby's favorites, I have to try them.

Thanks for the good wishes about our baby, Dylan -- maybe we can fix her up with one of your boys :)

Shari said...

I love the Phyllo Delights! They look sooo delicious! And you have the perfect taste testers!

Maria said...

Love all of your sweet treats! Great post!

Nick said...

That all looks incredible. I gotta try those lazy baklavas and super-chewy cookies! You must have some happy kids.

Unknown said...

How cute are your boys?? :) I thought those cookie dough pops looked really good too. Great job with your cookies and the baklava. I'm a big milk chocolate fan myself.

Julie said...

Your little baklavas are SOOO cute. I need to try those soon :)

TeaLady said...

Those 'baklava' are to DIE FOR!!!! So easy and look fantastic.

Cute kiddies too.