Tuesday, July 14, 2009

TWD-Rewind--Chunky Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters (With Chocolate Covered Pretzel Balls)

SO sorry to Denise of Chez Us for not joining in on her pick this week for Dorie's Brioche Plum Tart.  I'll bet it's really good and can't wait to see all the creations out there in TWD Land.  Brioche is some tasty bread and someday I'll make this recipe.  I just wasn't able to spend the time on it this past week.  But to stick with things, I did whip up a quick past cookie (with my own little twist) that I missed before joining TWD.

What a great cookie.  Seriously, how can you go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate and some good wholesome oats?!  Well, I recently found some fun looking pretzels that I thought would be fun to add to a cookie.  They are pretzel balls.  Have you seen these?

DSCF3404 

That's cool, but I thought chocolate covered pretzel balls would be even better!

DSCF3405

What'd I tell ya?  Better, huh.

DSCF3406 

Now we're talkin'.  I used 4 1/2 ounces of pretzel balls and 4 ounces of melted Ghiradelli 60% bittersweet chocolate. 

Voila!

DSCF3408

These are good with that added crunch and saltiness from the pretzels.

DSCF3411

Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters (With Chocolate Covered Pretzel Balls), adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours, by Katrina

3 cups old-fashioned oats (I ground them up)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I omitted this)

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I omitted this)

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup chunky peanut butter (smooth is okay)

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped or chips (I used milk chocolate chips!!--peanut butter goes best with milk chocolate in my opinion)

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted

4 1/2 ounces pretzel balls (you could also used broken up pretzels of any shape)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  (Do not do this until you've chilled the dough.)

Whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, (spices), and salt

In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth and creamy.  Add both sugars and beat until well combined.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla.  With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients mixing only until combined.  Stir in the chips and pretzels.   Chill the dough for 2 hours (or for up to 1 day).

Drop rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets.  Bake for 11-13 minutes.  Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then move to cooling racks with metal spatula to cool completely (or for as long as you can stand it). ;)

DSCF3413

You know you want one.

DSCF3420

Just look at that peanut buttery, oaty, chocolaty, pretzel-ly salty goodness! ;)

DSCF3423

Now go look at all those Brioche Plum Tarts!  Link to TWD Land above and the recipe on Denise's blog.

Picture time---Pretty darn talented, eh!

DSCF3403 DSCF3400

Okay, he may have had a little help.  This is his "new thing", whenever I get the camera out and say, "Go stand by it so I can take your picture."

DSCF3401

Now he just wants to have the camera and take pictures.  (He hasn't a clue what he's doing with my camera, but he sure thinks he does.   He can be a stubborn little bugger!  We never did get a good picture of him standing by this awesome Lego tower.

31 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Those pretzels balls are so cool! I thought they were hazelnuts! Of course covering them with chocolate was the proper thing to do! Yummy yummy cookies, just like I love them!

Anonymous said...

You're becoming a master of mix ins! :-)
The cookies look great!

Megan said...

Chocolate covered pretzel balls? Seriously - that's the greatest thing since sliced bread!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

These cookies look awesome. Now ,if I can only have it with my coffee..

isabelle said...

Love the pretzels balls!
These cookies looks delicious!

Amanda said...

Those look awesome!

Hindy said...

Awesome recipe. I'm impressed that you didn't just eat the chocolate covered pretzels balls and leave it at that!

vibi said...

!!! Humm... by the looks of those beaitful breads hereunder (that I've cimplimented well yesterday) ...I bet you didn't do the rewind for your lack of ability with yeast.

Darn! I have to admit it now... I'm a cluts with yeast. Or ...it simply hates me.

So I too did a rewind... although yours looks way yummier than mine! LOL I'm sure those boys think so anyways!!!

Anonymous said...

You're so clever! I love salty and combining it with sweet - even better! And you're right - I DO want one!! =)

Eliana said...

WHOA - chocolate covered pretzels in cookies - This is a genius idea!!!

Melody said...

These look so good and it's fun to try something different. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I loved this cookies. And choc covered pretzel balls sound amazing.

Anonymous said...

Um. Pretzels. In a cookie. Covered in chocolate. Genius. Can you send me some?

Soy*Baby said...

I want one. I really really want one. So yummy looking. Now I'll have to make those so I can quit dreaming about them.

TeaLady said...

Great twist on these cookies, as if they weren't good enough already.

Unknown said...

I was a big fan of these cookies and I absolutely love your adaptation with the chocolate covered pretzel balls. Delicious!!

mike said...

WOW - thanks for posting photos - now I know what they look like! They look fantastic, I'll have to make them soon. Love the pretzel additions!

noble pig said...

Okay that sounds crazy, crazy good. I can't even believe what an incredible cookie this would be. Now to find pretzel balls.

Stacy Hoover said...

First of all, I swear you are the Mac Gyver of baking!!! I think you could have 5 random things and throw them together and make a fabulous dessert!!! You are amazing! Secondly, I do want one!!! Where do I find these pretzel balls that you speak of? These look sooooo good! I can't wait to give these a try!!

Oh have you thought about using the chocolate covered pretzles in an ice cream????? Just sayin' :)

Anna said...

Those pretzel balls remind me of big cornnuts. Maybe you could make a cornnut cookie next time?

Katrina said...

I got the pretzel balls at Walmart, near the Pringles and popcorn.

Leslie said...

These look dangerous, like can't stop at one, two or three dangerous!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pretzel ball idea. chocolate covered pretzels are a longtime love of mine. these were good cookies. I made a variation again when we did the peach ice cream. great combo.

Anonymous said...

Awesome - I love salty & sweet!

Unknown said...

The chocolate covered pretzel balls look like my most favorite candy ever - WHOPPERS :)
The cookies look sooooo good!! I must try them. Maybe with real whoppers :P

Jennifer said...

Wow, those pretzel ball cookies look fabulous! I'll have to watch for pretzel balls, as I really want to make your variation.

Pamela said...

Chocolate covered pretzel balls! Yum. What a great addition to a delicious cookie. Cute pic of Sam! My boys love their legos, too.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea, you are brillianT :)

Carolyn Jung said...

Oh my gawd! You're killing me here with these cookie photos. Chocolate AND peanut butter AND chocolate-covered pretzel balls? My, oh my!! I think you've created the perfect cookie that's a meal. ;)

Valerie said...

I love salty and sweet together! Very imaginative.

eatme_delicious said...

Brilllllliant idea to cover the pretzel balls in chocolate!! I would have a hard time getting them into the cookies though because I love chocolate covered pretzels. Yumm love your modification to this cookie recipe!